Rooftop tents have become a hot commodity over the last few years in North America. While camping with a rooftop tent is not widely different from camping with a ground tent, rooftop tents do offer unique benefits and can elevate your camping experience (pun intended). In this article, we cover some basics about camping with a rooftop tent, including choosing a rooftop tent, what to expect during setup, the benefits of camping with a rooftop tent, and where to find quality rooftop tents in Calgary.
Camping With a Rooftop Tent
Camping with a rooftop tent can be a fun and convenient way to enjoy the great outdoors. Here are some steps to help you set up and use a rooftop tent for a successful camping trip:
- Choose the right rooftop tent – First and foremost, ensure that your chosen tent is compatible with your vehicle’s roof rack system and weight capacity. There are various rooftop tents available in the market, including soft-shell rooftop tents and hard-shell rooftop tents, each with its own unique features, sizes, and designs.
- Install the rooftop tent – Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to securely install the rooftop tent onto your vehicle’s roof rack system. This process typically involves attaching the tent’s mounting brackets to the roof rack crossbars and tightening them down with provided hardware. At the Calgary Hitch Shop, we’re happy to help you with your rooftop tent installation and take you through setting it up and taking it down.
- Choose a suitable campsite – Find a relatively flat, stable, and safe area to park your vehicle. Make sure there are no overhead hazards, such as tree branches or power lines, and ensure that your vehicle is parked on firm, level ground to provide a stable base for your tent.
- Set up the rooftop tent – Unlatch any buckles, straps, or zippers that secure the tent during transport. Then, lift and unfold the tent according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Most rooftop tents have a ladder that you will need to extend and secure to provide easy access to the tent’s entrance.
- Set up your sleeping area – Arrange your sleeping gear, such as sleeping bags, pillows, and blankets, inside the tent. Ensure that you have adequate insulation and padding for a comfortable night’s sleep. Some rooftop tents, such as a Tepui rooftop tent, come with a solid and sturdy base and a comfortable mattress built in.
- Plan for safety and comfort – Keep essential items like a flashlight, spare batteries, a first aid kit, and insect repellent nearby. Ventilate the tent by opening windows or vents to reduce condensation and maintain a comfortable temperature. Some models include an anti-condensation mat to keep moisture from building up.
The Benefits of Camping With a Rooftop Tent
There are several benefits of camping with a rooftop tent compared to traditional ground tents. Here are just a few of the advantages:
- A rooftop tent raises your sleeping area off the ground, which provides protection from insects, critters, and potential flooding. This elevated position also offers improved airflow and can help keep you cooler on hot nights.
- Rooftop tents are designed for easy and fast setup and takedown, allowing you to spend more time enjoying your camping experience and less time dealing with tent poles and stakes. In most cases, you can set up a rooftop tent in just a few minutes.
- Many rooftop tents come with a built-in mattress or padding, providing a more comfortable sleeping surface than sleeping on the ground. This added comfort can lead to a better night’s sleep while camping.
- With a rooftop tent, you can camp wherever your vehicle can go, opening up a wide range of potential campsites that may be inaccessible or unsuitable for traditional tents. Additionally, you can easily move your campsite without having to pack up and set up a ground tent again.
- Rooftop tents are generally made with more robust materials than ground tents, making them better equipped to handle inclement weather conditions. Their elevated position also helps to keep you dry in case of heavy rain or wet ground conditions.
- Since it’s stored on the roof, a rooftop tent can save valuable space inside your vehicle. This leaves more room for other camping equipment, supplies, and personal belongings.
- When you’re not camping, the roof rack used for your rooftop tent can serve other purposes, such as carrying bicycles, kayaks, or other outdoor equipment.
Where to Find Quality Rooftop Tents in Calgary
If you’re considering investing in a rooftop tent, our team at Calgary Hitch Shop can help you find the perfect tent for your needs. With our selection of high-quality rooftop tents and knowledgeable staff, we not only provide expert advice on the features and compatibility of various rooftop tents but also offer installation services to ensure a safe and secure setup.